Floral ink painting workshop with Malvern Artists Society
Time & Location
About the Event
In this floral workshop, you will develop your own visual lexicon to create your personal vision of Australian native flowers.
In the morning, you will be introduced to the subtle art of layering, playing with light and darkness as well as texture, to create stunning backgrounds, on which you will later paint the flowers of your choice. You will also discover how to build a personal way of rendering flowers by analysing the architecture of the plants you will have chosen.
In the afternoon, you will experiment with white ink detailing, to add depth and contrast to your paintings. A short and casual exhibition will be organised by the end of the workshop, for everyone to enjoy each others’ work.
This workshop also includes tips for composition, archival arts, and how to create in series while remaining creative and avoiding repetitiveness.
By the end of the 6 hours workshop you will have produced:
- a series of post card size paintings, on watercolour paper with your own floral art
- one A4 or A3 experimental painting on a different paper quality and surface than watercolour paper
- a series of practice sketches to keep preciously as a reminder of the creative process for future reference
PARTICIPANTS MUST BRING
- A4 and A3 watercolour paper
- A4 or A3 cartridge or photocopy paper sheets
- 1 sheet of tissu/light weight paper (white colour preferably)
- 2x small and pointy brushes (1 for black ink, 1 for white ink), 1 medium flat brush (to cover the surface with ink easily), 2 large flat brushes (1 for water, 1 for glue)
- liquid craft glue (25ml)
- apron, rags, absorbant towel paper, newspaper to protect the table
- 2 x large containers for water and glue (recycled take away plastic containers), 2 x bottle lids (recipients for ink should be small)
- plants or flowers of your choice, with a preference for native plants. Please consider the well being of the bush when selecting plants. Only 3 or maximum 4 species.
- notebook + pen + HB or 2B pencil
- Floral Ink Painting$115$1150$0