Sat, Oct 15|
Vancouver Arts Centre
Suitable for all levels, this workshop focuses on WA native flowers. Ideal for artists interested to approach botanical painting in a detailed, yet creative way that leaves room for personal interpretation.
Time & Location
Oct 15, 2022, 10:00 AM – 3:30 PM
Vancouver Arts Centre, 85 Vancouver St, Albany WA 6330
About the event
In this floral workshop, you will develop your own visual lexicon to create your personal vision of some of the local native flowers.
In the morning, you will be introduced to the subtle art of layering, playing with light and darkness as well as texture, to create stunning backgrounds, on which you will later paint flowers. You will also discover how to build a personal way of rendering these plants by analysing their architecture.
In the afternoon, you will experiment with white ink detailing to add depth and contrast to your paintings.
This workshop also includes tips for composition, archival art practice, and how to create in series while remaining creative and avoiding repetitiveness.
PARTICIPANTS MUST BRING
- a few A4 and A3 watercolour paper sheets
- some photocopy paper sheets for practice
- 2x natural fiber/sable brushes size 0 or 1 (1 for ink, 1 for white ink),
- 1x large flat goat hair brushes
- apron, rags, absorbant towel paper, newspaper to protect your table
- 2 x large containers for water (recycled take away plastic containers), 2 x as small as you can find containers for ink with lid
- native plants or flowers of your choice
- notebook + pen + HB or 2B pencil
Native Flora Ink Painting